Cat On A Hot Tin Roof: Top Ten Quotes
Top Ten Quotes
1. "What is the victory of a cat on a hot tin roof?-I wish I knew. . . . Just staying on it, I guess, as long as she can. . . ." (Act 1, p. 31)
Maggie compares herself to a cat.
2. "Silence about a thing just magnifies it." (Act 1, p. 32)
Maggie talking to Brick about his friendship with Skipper.
3. "You can be young without money, but you can't be old without it." (Act 1, p. 55)
Maggie explains why she is determined to ensure that Brick inherits the plantation on Big Daddy's death.
4. "One man has one great good true thing in his life." (Act 1, p. 59)
Brick talks of his friendship with Skipper.
5. "Life is important. There's nothing else to hold on onto." (Act 2, p. 86)
Big Daddy gives his advice to Brick.
6. "The human animal is a beast that dies but the fact that he's dying don't give him pity for others, no sir." (Act 2, p. 90)
Big Daddy's observation about life.
7. "Hell, you got to live with it, there's nothing else to live with except mendacity, is there?" (Act 2, p. 111)
Big Daddy responds to Brick's disgust with mendacity.
8. "Time just outran me, Big Daddy, got there first . . ." (Act 2, p. 115)
Brick explains his frustration at no longer being able to play football.
9. "One thing you can grow on a big place more important than cotton!-is tolerance!-I grown it." (Act 2, p. 122)
Big Daddy explains his tolerant view of homosexuality.
10. "Time goes by so fast. Nothin' can outrun it. Death commences too early-almost before you're half acquainted with life-you meet the other . . ." (Act 3, p. 161.)
Big Mama finally acknowledges the inevitable.