Don Quixote: Novel Summary: Book 1, Part 3-Book 1, Part 4
Book 1, Part 3: After finishing his dinner, Don Quixote begins to plead with the innkeeper to dub him. The innkeeper suspects that Quixote is insane, but agrees to honor his request nonetheless.
Guarding his armor later that night, which he has set next to a water trough, Quixote sees a muleteer, who hopes to get water for his mules, approach. Thinking that the man is stealing his armor, the Don attacks the muleteer, causing the innkeeper to come running outside to see what the commotion is about. Now being sure that Quixote is mad, the innkeeper hastily dubs him a knight and sends him out, not bothering to make him pay.
Book 1, Part 4: Quixote is overjoyed with his new status as a full-fledged knight-errant. Planning to go home to retool and find a squire, he hears screams from a nearby thicket. He sees a young boy, named Andrew, being beaten by his cruel master. Reprimanding the man, the knight demands that he release the child and pay him his rightful wages, telling him, "I am the valiant Don Quixote of La Mancha, the undoer of wrongs and injuries." The master agrees to Quixote's mandate, but resumes his beating of the boy after Quixote leaves them.
Next, Quixote comes across a group of traders. He challenges them according to the knight-errant tradition, demanding that they acknowledge the beauty of his Lady Dulcinea. Soon he attacks one of them, but is left bruised and beaten in the process and blames his horse.
Don Quixote Study GuideChoose to Continue
- Don Quixote
- Book 1, Part 1-Book 1, Part 2
- Book 1, Part 3-Book 1, Part 4
- Book 1, Part 5-Book 1, Part 6
- Book 1, Part 7-Book 1, Part 8
- Book 1, Part 9-Book 1, Part 10
- Book 1, Part 11-Book 1, Part 12
- Book 1, Part 13-Book 1, Part 14
- Book 1, Part 15-Book 1, Part 16
- Book 1, Part 17-Book 1, Part 18
- Book 1, Part 19-Book 1, Part 20
- Book 1, Part 21-Book 1, Part 22
- Book 1, Part 23-Book 1, Part 24
- Book 2, Part 1-Book 2, Part 2
- Book 2, Part 3-Book 2, Part 4
- Book 2, Part 5-Book 2, Part 6
- Book 2, Part 7-Book 2, Part 8
- Book 2, Part 9-Book 2, Part 10
- Book 2, Part 11-Book 2, Part 12
- Book 2, Part 13-Book 2, Part 14
- Book 2, Part 15-Book 2, Part 16
- Character Profiles
- Metaphor Analysis
- Theme Analysis
- Top Ten Quotes
- Miguel De Cervantes Saaverdra