The Scarlet Letter: Top Ten Quotes
Top Ten Quotes
1) "It may serve, let us hope, to symbolize some sweet moral blossom that may be found along the track, or relieve the darkening close of a tale of human frailty and sorrow."
2) " 'People say,' said another, 'that the Reverend Master Dimmesdale, her godly pastor, takes it very grievously to his heart that such a scandal has come upon his congregation.'"
3) " 'If thou feelest to be for thy soul's peace, and that they earthly punishment will there by be made more effectual to salvation, I charge thee to speak out the name of thy fellow-sinner and fellow-sufferer.'"
4) "But she named the infant 'Pearl,' as being of great price- purchased with all she had- her mother's only pleasure."
5) "After putting her fingers in her mouth, with many ungrateful refusals to answer Mr. Wilson's question, the child finally announced that she had not been made at all, but had been plucked by her mother off the bush of wild roses that grew by the prison door"
6) " 'He hath done a wild thing ere now, this pious Mr. Dimmesdale, in the hot passion of his heart!'"
7) "Such helpfulness was found in her- so much power to do and power to sympathize- that many people refused to interpret the scarlet 'A' by it's original signification. They said that it meant 'Able'; so strong was Hester Prynne, with a women's strength."
8) "'That old man!- the physician!- the one whom they call Roger Chillingworth!-he was my husband!'"
9) "Pacify her, if thou lovest me!"
10) " 'Hester Prynne' cried he, with a piercing earnestness 'in the name of Him, so terrible and so merciful, who gives me grace, at this last moment, to do what- for my own heavy sin and miserable agony- I withheld myself from doing seven years ago, come hither now, and twine thy strength about me!"