Treasure Island: Top Ten Quotes
- Fifteen men on the dead man's chest-
Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!Drink and the devil had done for the rest-Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!" (Ch. I, p.10)
The song the pirates sing.
- He was plainly blind, for he tapped before him with a stick, and wore a great green shade over his eyes and nose; and he was hunched, as if with age or weakness, and wore a huge old tattered sea cloak with a hood, that made him appear positively deformed. I never saw in my life a more dreadful-looking figure (Ch. III, pp. 28-29).
Jim's description of Pew, the blind beggar.
- His left leg was cut off close by the hip, and under the left shoulder he carried a crutch, which he managed with wonderful dexterity, hopping about upon it like a bird. He was very tall and strong, with a face as big as a ham-plain and pale, but intelligent and smiling (Ch. VIII, p. 76).
Jim's first impressions of Long John Silver.
- "Pieces of eight! pieces of eight! pieces of eight!" (Ch. X, p. 98).
The cry of Long John Silver's parrot, Cap'n Flint.
- From trunk to trunk the creature flitted like a deer, running manlike on two legs, but unlike any man that I had ever seen, stooping almost double as it ran (Ch. XV, p. 140).
Jim's description of Ben Gunn.
- "Many's the long night I've dreamed of cheese-toasted, mostly" (Ch. XV, p. 142).
Ben Gunn speaking to Jim.
- "You're either my ship's cook-and then you were treated handsome-or Cap'n Silver, a common mutineer and pirate, and then you can go hang!" (Ch. XX, p. 190).
Captain Smollett as he refuses to negotiate with Silver.
- "But one man of her crew alive.
What put to sea with seventy-five."Ch, XXIII, p. 222).
One of the sailors' songs that Jim remembers.
- "And now, shipmates, this black spot? 'Tain't much good now, is it? Dick's crossed his luck and spoiled his Bible, and that's about all" (Ch. XXIX, p. 289).
Silver speaking after he has foiled the pirates' attempt to depose him.
- "Fetch aft the rum, Darby!" (Ch. XXXII, p. 316)
The last words of Captain Flint, imitated by Ben Gunn to scare the pirates.