Lord of the Flies: Top Ten Quotes
1) Piggy: "We can use this to call the others. Have a meeting. They’ll come when they hear us—."
2) Ralph: "This is our island. It’s a good island. Until the grown-ups come to fetch us we’ll have fun."
3) Ralph: "There’s another thing. We can help them to find us. If a ship comes near the island they may not notice us. So we must make smoke on top of the mountain. We must make a fire."
4) Piggy: "How can you expect to be rescued if you don’t put first things first and act proper?"
5) Golding: "There was the brilliant world of hunting, tactics, fierce exhilaration, skill, and there was the world of longing and baffled common-sense."
6) Golding: "However Simon thought of the beast, there rose before his inward sight the picture of a human at once heroic and sick."
7) Golding: "Then Jack found the throat and the hot blood spouted over his hands. The sow collapsed under them and they were heavy and fulfilled upon her. The butterflies still danced, preoccupied in the center of the clearing."
8) The Lord of the Flies: "Fancy thinking the Beast was something you could hunt and kill! You knew, didn’t you? I’m part of you? Close, close, close! I’m the reason why it’s no go? Why things are what they are?"
9) Golding: "A stick sharpened at both ends."
10) Ralph, thinking to himself: "What was the sensible thing to do? There was no Piggy to talk sense. There was no solemn assembly for debate nor dignity of the conch."