Beowulf: Top Ten Quotes
1) They stretched their beloved lord in his boat,
laid out by the mast, amidships.the great ring-giver. Far-fetched treasureswere piled on him, and precious gear. (lines 34-37)
The Danes give their dead lord, Shield Sheafson a royal send off.
2) In off the moors, down through the mist bands
.God-cursed Grendel came greedily loping.The bane of the race of men roamed forth,hunting for prey in the high hall.(lines 710-13).
3) He has done his worst but the wound will end him.
He is hasped and hooped and hirpling with pain,limping and looped in it. Like a man outlawed.for wickedness, he must await.the mighty judgement of God in majesty.(lines 974-78)
Beowulf speaks after he has killed Grendel.
4) Grendel's mother,monstrous hell-bride, brooded on her wrongs.
She had been forced down into fearful waters,he cold depths, after Cain had killed.his father's son, felled his ownbrother with a sword. (lines 1258-63)
5) A few miles from herea frost-stiffened wood waits and keeps watch
above a mere; the overhanging bankis a maze of tree-roots mirrored in its surface.At night there, something uncanny happen:the water burns. (lines 1362-67)
The poet describes the mere in which Grendel's mother lives.
6) It is always better to avenge dear ones than to indulge in mourning.
Beowulf speaks, after Grendel's mother has killed Aeschere.
7) In pure gold inlay on the sword-guards
there were rune-markings correctly incised,stating and recording for whom the swordhad been first made and ornamentedwith its scrollworked hilt. (lines 1694-98)
A description of the hilt of the sword Beowulf recovered from Grendel's mother.
8) The dragon began to belch out flames
and burn bright homesteads; there was a hot glowhat scared everyone, for the vile sky-wingerwould leave nothing alive in his wake. (lines 2312-15)
9) Your deeds are famous,so stay resolute, my lord, defend your life now
with the whole of your strength. I shall stand by you.(lines 2666-68)
Wiglaf speaks to Beowulf before joining him in the fight against the dragon.
10) They said that of all the kings upon the earth
he was the man most gracious and fair-minded,kindest to his people and keenest to win fame. (lines
The Geats' tribute to Beowulf after his death.